Louvered doors have been around for a long time now. In fact, louvered doors are found on every closet in every home in the US. The doors are esthetic, cheap, they are easily modified to suit nearly every interior or color design, and this makes very versatile in budget and style. If you are interested in renovating your home closets, you should consider getting louvered doors. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve created a short guide to louvered doors and why they are the ideal choice for any home.
A little history
Louvers originate in Middle Age France as lantern shaped constructions that were attached to kitchen windows. The slats allowed air to enter into the kitchen and permitted circulation. At the same time, the slats prevented insects from crawling up into the room. Originally, the slats were crude constructions but they later evolved into elaborate designs and materials that served the same purpose. By the late Middle Ages, louvers were also used inside homes in cupboards and closets to allow air circulation while still keeping insects out of clothing and stored food items. Louvers were rarely used as primary design elements and they were primarily added as esthetic and functional components of a room. Architects like Alvar Aalto changed all that by using louvers as an external design element on building facades. This style was also adapted by second-generation modernist architect Juha Leiviskä as design elements on building facades and louvers quickly became popular on industrial, commercial and residential buildings.
Advantages of louvered doors
1. Easy airflow — Louvered doors permit ventilation and this is an excellent feature. If a room is temperature controlled, the louvered doors allow cooled or heated air to enter into the closet and ensure temperature stability. This is particularly important if you stay in extreme temperatures. This temperature stability also ensures energy saving as the entire room is chilled or heated evenly with no hot spots or cold areas.
2. Privacy — Louvered doors usually have slats that can be moved up and down. This is useful in case you need privacy at certain times. For example, if you have a guest, the slats can be lowered immediately. Soundproofed metal slats are also available to immediately muffle the sound from inside the room. This assures immediate privacy and comfort even with louvered doors.
3. Cost — Louvered doors are far cheaper than full wooden doors. Simple but cheaper wooden slats that bring down the cost of the door or window replace the wood.
4. Easily available — It is now possible to purchase readymade louvered doors online from wholesale manufacturers. You can purchase wood, plastic, and even metallic doors that can be used in almost every location in the home. Indoor doors are made from wood or plastic while outdoor versions may be made from brass, copper, stainless steel etc. The slats are connected with a movable handle and this makes adjustment easy.
5. Variety — Readymade louvered doors are available in a range of colors and styles and you can select designs to suit your home. All you have to do is check through online catalogs and order your design. The door or window will be delivered to your home at minimal shipping cost.
6. Eco conscious — Louvered doors can be made from a wide range of woods include processed wood and repurposed wood. Apart from wood, manufacturers also use nylon, PVS and composite acrylic to make these doors. The doors resemble wood but they are cheap and they can be recycled easily.
Buying your louvered doors
Consumers can now buy almost every type of louvered doors through online suppliers. For example, large companies like americanwoodvents.com custom-make louvered doors to suit the needs of customers. Apart from custom-made doors, they also stock several designs in louvered doors that customers can choose. The doors produced with movable or fixed slats, multi-colored designs, styles, sizes, and materials. You can choose to log on to website and browse through the catalog. Ordering the doors is easy. The website has a simple ordering process and you can even order free samples from the website. Take the time to check color and material before you order the doors.